Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9, 2010 Day 9







Today was a very long day. Very busy with testing at the cross-country venue. We started at 6:30 am and got back to our hotel at 7:30 pm. I actually prefer to be busy and have a day like today because we are here to work and it is a lot of fun.
We started the day with a request from the IOC medical committee for about 65 targeted tests from many different countries. Most of the teams had arrived but some were still not here yet. It got a bit crazy for a while as so many skiers were coming on and off the cross country track that it was hard to keep track of all of them. We can only identify them by the number on their bibs and the problem for me was one of my contacts ripped first thing in the morning and I forgot my glasses so i went the entire day basically blind. I couldn't see or read any numbers but I managed to notify 3 athletes, a swiss, slovakian and german athlete. It was pretty sad because I had to walk right up them to read their bib on their chest.
Sorry, for only 3 or 4 photos today. I was so busy notifying athletes i didn't get much down time today and security is getting tighter and they are monitoring the picture taking in the athlete areas more.
Some interesting facts from today...
-More than 70,000 volunteers have checked-in through workforce to work at the Olympic games so far. They expect close to 100,00.
-Our lab that analyzes all of the urine and blood in Richmond costs $16 million dollars
-The entire doping team at the Olympics in the first week have processed nearly 500 doping control tests. We are expected to do 2,000 total.
-one female cross country skier brought 94 pairs of skis to the Olympics! I looked for her to take a picture but couldn't find her.
I know this is a stereotype but every german athlete we tested was belligerent and very arrogant.
-all of the Russian athletes have been very nice and uncharacteristically cooperative....
I have to take a quick picture of my hotel room and bathroom. Nitalake lodge is such a nice hotel and I found out that the owner of this hotel has a daughter who was a student of mine at Lethbridge College. She is working here at the hotel in the restaurant and she introduced me to her father who is the owner. Small world...
The other picture is some of the Russians on the course practicing and my eerie Inukshuk at night picture as we were leaving tonight.
It still fascinates me on how many people there are from so many different countries speaking so many different languages. I am working on my Norwegian still because it is so close to Swedish.
...Hada...
Tim

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim:
    The students thought that your night photo of the Inukshuk looked like one of the Apollo astronauts on the moon! Thanks for your great posts. 94 pairs of skis?

    Cheers,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete