Friday, February 12, 2010

February 12, 2010 Day 12
















OPENING DAY of the OLYMPICS!





Well today was such an up and down day it is really hard to describe. It started out not so good. I forgot my accreditation on my way up to WOP and I forgot it in my hotel room. This showed me how important my accreditation really was. I couldn’t do anything without it. I didn’t realize I didn’t have it until I got to the first police checkpoint and they made me get out of the car and I wasn’t allowed to go any further. SO, I basically stood out on the side of the highway and waited for Elizabeth in another ADP vehicle to bring up my accreditation pass. It wasn’t too bad but it made me about 40 mins. late. The police were really good about the whole thing but there is no way you could sneak into this area without your accreditation. After that check point you drove into a huge tent and they had mirrors to check under your vehicle for bombs and searched the car. Security is pretty tight at the games and it is really tight now the games have begun.
BUT…this morning was really good because this was the first day of competition at the ski jumping venue. It was the qualifiers for the ski jumping and it was really exciting. The ski jump hill was packed with people and media and cameras were everywhere. I took some pictures of the crowd and again, I got right up to the ski jumpers to get some great shots. It is so great to get to go where no one else is… I think it is going to my head, ha, ha. I was talking to some spectators and they spent $90.00 for just a place to stand to watch for an hour. The stadium seats were $120.00 to $150.00 each. Our station has been really busy but it felt good to start the games for real.
But then…. We had 2 WADA (world anti-doping agency) observers come to our station on a surprise visit since we were the first doping control station to do tests. They are independent observers that stand right in the room to observe and watch us work. It is extremely nerve racking and made me quite nervous. Nicole was form the U.K. (London, England) and Ali was from Kuwait. They were nice but they were all business during the testing and their presence made evveryone really uptight and nervous. We had to lend Ali some Sorel winter boots because he wasn’t used to snow. I was given the task of giving the tour around that facility and have Nicole observe me do a test on a Japanese ski jumper.
Then…. There was the tragic accident of the Georgian luge athlete. It was terrible. The sliding centre is just across the highway from where I am staying. In talking with some of the Lugers and the other DCO’s working at that station, this track is the fastest in the world and he was going about 130 km / hr when he hit the metal support beam. He died of head trauma. Just a terrible accident.
Then… so exciting again for the opening ceremonies. Everyone in Whistler was so excited. Everyone was so happy and were showing all of their Canadian colours. All of the DCO’s and BCO’s all watched it in the lounge at the Nita Lake Lodge. It was great. It was such a thrilling moment for me when Wayne Gretzky lit the outdoor cauldron and people were cheering so loudly.
It was just one of those days where it was a rollercoaster of emotions.
I have a full day tomorrow of testing again. This will be 12 straight days of work… but it has been great thus far.
By the way, Alisa just sent me this link: http://www.uleth.ca/unews/content/policing-games

1 comment:

  1. Tim,
    Hi. We have been enjoying your blog all week. Thanks. It is making our day.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete