Thursday, February 18, 2010

February 18, 2010 Day 18











































































































































































































Today was my first day off in 17 days straight! and I really needed a break. I slept in and headed off into Whistler Village by myself. It was a beautiful day, warm, blue skys and no clouds or fog so I decided I would ride the Peak 2 Peak gondola between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. The cool thing about my accreditation is it allows us to use it on all of the buses for free and it gave me a discount on the peak 2 peak ticket for the day. It was really cool and I took alot of pictures. it is 438m above the mountain at its highest. I got to ride in the glass bottom gondola which gave some really cool views of the mountains below.
Because it was such a nice day out, the mountain was really busy with snowboarders and skiers. I have to say that Whistler makes Whitefish and Fernie look not as good. I went up thinking I didn't want to ski but because it was so nice, I almost went and rented some skis! The views on top of the mountain were unbelievable. I have posted a video of the view up there and a short video of the medals ceremony from last night.
I met another DCO, Brian Gaudet from Moncton, NB on top of the mountain and we did some sightseeing and picture taking on top. At 12:30, I was asked to call Edmonton and I was interviewed for a radio talk show on Access tv for a short 5 min. clip so I did that via my cell phone from on top of Whistler mountain. I have no idea when it will air or when it will be on... Well, we made our way down and Whistler village below was packed! Live concerts, music, and crowds everywhere.
I took a picture of a tv camera on a boom that would come down right down in your face.

We went back up and dropped into the Sliding centre to see that facility. It was just before the Skeleton start but we had a great tour from Chris, one of the DCO's who works there. I got a picture of where the Georgian Luger was killed...
After, Brian and I went to a local burger joint called "splitz" and it had great burgers. They were so big, I had to take a picture. We made it back just in time to watch Canada beat the Swiss in a shootout and at the Swiss house I took a picture of an Inukshuk made of Lindt chocolate...

One of the nicest parts of the Olympics is there are Canadian flags everywhere! People are so excited and there is a real sense of true patriot love for CANADA.

No comments:

Post a Comment