Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 24, 2010 Day 24







Canadian Hockey! What a great game against Russia! The excitement in Whistler is infectious. Everyone is talking about the game and every TV, restaurant and pub is filled to capacity with people watching the game. It was funny, as soon as the hockey game was over, I went straight to the gym to lift weights and I was the only one there. It was absolutely deserted.

There is so much Canadian patriotism and pride everywhere. Canadian flags and hockey jerseys everywhere you look.

Today was the Men's cross country team relay 4 x 10 km race. The Europeans dominate this event. Canada came in 9th or so I think but they were way back of the winners, the Swedish team. Drug testing is almost second nature to all of us now. We have done so many that it really has become routine now. I am used to seeing WADA officials and IOC medical committee members and I am not nervous at all when they are bascially standing right over top of me observing the test procedures. It can be quite intimidating but I have got used to them and we have got to know them quite well. There really is a huge emphasis on no errors on our paperwork. It is quite important that our paperwork is absolutely error free and perfect. The consequence of an error on our testing paperwork is that if an athlete does test positive and there is an error, that athlete will "get off" on a technicality or paperwork error so there is a lot of pressure on us. The media continues to swarm outside the doping control station and wait for the athletes. They are like vultures.

I am getting really sick of coke, sprite, apple juice, orange juice and blue poweraid. These are all coke products and we literally have an unlimited suppy to all of these all day and at every meal. I thought I would take a picture of the coke machine in our doping control station. it is full all the time now...
I took a picture of Ian, a DCO from Edinburgh, Scotland. He is a great guy and I really enjoy working with him. The other picture is of Kellie who is Blood collection officer from Victoria. She built a snowman to watch our door for us. We have constant staffing of access monitors / security to the doping control station. They control access to the station and they have been doing a great job. No one without a pass gets in.
One funny observation is I have noticed that the RCMP do not associate with the other municipal police officers from different cities. At lunch and dinner, the RCMP don't sit with other police men or with others on the bus.

I had some great news today. I got a call from the FCC (Function command centre) and I was told I have this Saturday off as well! So I may go into Squamish and try and visit Seth and his family or maybe even try and get down into Vancouver if I can...

GO CANADA.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim:
    A short note from Mr. Wilson and his class at Lakeview School. Thanks so much for the wonderful blog you have posted every day. This is the last day we will be able to read it together. We have really enjoyed your posts and they have given us a different perspective on the games. The students have asked if you have too many drinks, could you bring a supply to the school when you return. ;)

    ReplyDelete