Tuesday, February 16, 2010

February 16, 2010 Day 16
















Well, today I was in the Athletes Village in Whistler. It is where all of the outdoor winter sport athletes live. It is really difficult to find athletes in the village because it is basically trying to find a needle in a haystack. There are thousands of athletes housed there spread out over a very large area. However, there are 4 male DCO's that I work with (me included) that always gets their man. We were able to find our guys early in the morning in the dining hall /tent because all athletes have to eat eventually...
The dining hall where the athletes eat at is HUGE. It variety and selection of food reminded me of the Bellagio buffet in Las Vegas. You literaly can get any kind of food there. The athletes can eat whatever they want, whenever they want and the worst part of it includes a full MacDonald's restaurant where you can order anything. Talking to a few of the athletes and workers, if they are done competing, they eat at MacDonalds but if they still have to compete, they eat the healthy food.
At the athletes village, there is an Olympic merchandise store. It was big and they had a lot of good stuff in there. Too bad I have already bought all of my gifts. I snapped a quick picture of the dining hall inside.
Just outside the store in the main square, there is native, metal statue. I took a closer look at it and it was very cool to see that it was covered in signatures and messages from the athletes from all over the world. There is also a fireplace in the shape of a globe that everyone hangs out around to warm up their hands.
The bad thing about today was I felt quite ill and dizzy at about lunch time so I got to go home early. I went into the polyclinic and saw the doctor their as well. I realized that I have worked 15 days straight without a day off and 10-12 hour days and this next week will be even busier. I basically, slept from noon until 5 and feel better. I watched Canada beat Norway in hockey 8-0 and Ricker win gold today. Too bad about Patrick Chan but we will see how he does after his long program.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim!
    Im finally going skiing!
    Your blog posts are great! I need to check your blog every day but while Im going skiing I dont know if I can!
    Bye!
    GRACE

    ReplyDelete